Pages

Thursday 8 September 2011

Action Comics #1: Superman is a tiny bit less Lame


So, Superman y'all.

I've never really been a big fan. Not of the comics, cartoons, movies, or video games. In terms of superheroes, he is next to Aquaman as the hero I am the least interested in. Supes can be okay, in certain instances, but that context usually involves him being slightly outside of his own mythology.

My favourite was when he hung out with Seinfeld.

To be fair though, I have the least amount of knowledge about Superman in comic form. So maybe Superman has been awesome on paper and I've just been a dismissing ass for the last how many years.

But I guess this New U thing is supposed to change those sorts of opinions right? Get in on the ground floor and understand why people were first engaged by these characters and all.

With Grant Morrison's Superman Action Comics, I kind of get all that. He is sort of likable, instead of just being a strong patriotic Jesus with a cape and red underoos.

The rest of the review, with some minor spoilers after the jump.

Nice.
But, he doesn't have the red underoos anymore.

I know lots of people have their issues with the way Superman looks in this edition, and other editions. I wasn't mad that the iconic suit had been marred by some urban redesign, rather, I just thought the boots and jeans made him look a tad the wanker. Almost like he walked here from the farm and threw on the cape and started moaning about the good old American way.

In fact, this Superman seems to have a little problem with American ideals. Early on when fighting some upper-crust criminals he is confronted by the police. He makes some statement about the perp confessing to someone who actually believes that the law applies to both rich and poor alike.

Given my knowledge of Superman, I liked seeing him a little jaded, even if this is pre the Superman of yore. Really, this Superman and Clark Kent combo has problems. He's trying to make it as a journalist and at the same time, figuring out who he is as a "hero". He's almost angsty, but maybe a little angst is what the Superman needs to make him a character with some complex development. Hell, some character development at all.

Maybe it was just my very low expectations, but I'm fairly fond of the first Action Comics Superman. The ending left me wanting to read the next edition, which is funny, as I guess that's what comics are supposed to do.

One more thing though, which is sort of spoilery, so be warned:

I liked Lex Luther's dialogue in the later half of the book. His ramble about foreign species destroying ecosystems is a somewhat intriguing source of motivation. Though, given that it is Luther, it's probably all bullshit villain monologuing. Nevertheless, it is further characterization than I expect of the bald dude with an endless supply of Krypton.

No comments:

Post a Comment