Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

Do Comic Shop Communities Want New Customers?



So, of the titles I listed in my Wednesday pull list, I managed to acquire not a single one none of them. Disappointing to say the least, and a really off putting experience all around.

On Wednesday, M and I got to the comic book shop relatively early after work. I was later last week and missed getting Animal Man and Batgirl. I figured this time would prove more fruitful.

It did not.

Apparently at this particular store, DCnU is the best selling thing since Tickle Me Elmo. They arrange all the new titles alphabetically on boards. I was scanning through and saw various copies of Wolverine, Spiderman, and what have you but I couldn't find Frankenstein, or Batwoman. There were these meaningful empty spots of the boards where you would expect to find each title.

So all these DCnU titles sold out in the first hours of their release? Out of this week's titles, I could only find Demon Knights, Grifter, and Mister Terrific (of course).

And no wonder. The shop was packed. We had to awkwardly move around other customers to make sure that we weren't just missing a board. They had so few of DCnU comics that we thought we were simply not seeing them.

Not wanting to waste the trip, we bought a Fables trade for M and the second Sweet Tooth trade for me. More importantly, I wanted to ask the dude at the counter how I could order the sold-out comics and how I could actually get the comics I wanted each week. It seemed to me that there was some sort of transparent process that enabled these other customers to get what they wanted.

It was busy though, so we had to wait in line for a bit.

There was a crowd of people in the waiting-to-buy area, some in line, some just chillin and it was not immediately apparent who was who. Everyone was talking enthusiastically. They were teasing each other and talking about order sheets and then teasing each other again. One person would be a prick, and then the other would prick back. So forth. It was the sort of conversation that exists within its own community and excludes those outside of it.

I don't resent them their conversation, I'm not there for friends, but I wanted to buy my books and leave.

The gentleman in front of M and I got to the register and had a stack of comics the size of a correspondence box. Likely $30-40 worth of comics. He also had a stack of cash, not as thick but still a make-it-rain sort of a stack. He asked for a bag and board for the cash, which resulted in even more teasing and guffawing.

Once he is out of the way though it was my time to buy stuff and to solve this mystery of why I don't get the comics I want. The problem is though, that when I got up to the register, the man behind the counter began yelling around me to continue his conversation with the previous customer.

Which is for one, socially rude, but also bad customer service. And I know maybe I sound a tad posh when I expect someone I'm buying something from politely look me in the eye and listen to me if I want to speak.

I got a little angry. I decided I didn't feel like asking how I could get my comics because this guy didn't care that I was there at all. I also didn't feel like asking about ordering comics in front of everyone that already knew how to get the comics they wanted.

And I think my irritation was a little evident on my face because the owner eventually did turn to me, and made the joke "oh, comic book guys, we're all just assholes".

Which really pissed me off.

Not because I found his statement offensive, but because he dismissed M and I. We aren't comic book people, we're just foot traffic.

Nevermind we're buying comics. I guess trades don't count?

We aren't part of that community, so we don't get the comics we want, nor do we warrant assistance with getting the comics we want.

TO HEDGE MY BITCHING: I have been to this store before, and spoken to the women that also works there and she has never been anything but helpful. Last week she even tried finding if she had a stashed copy of Animal Man for herself she'd sell me. It was this guy in particular that ruined the experience for me.

And I wonder how comic people around the world feel about this DCnU. These books are selling out everywhere, so there must be more people like me. People taking this as an opportunity to get into comics again. What do the people that liked the comics before the reboot think about us newbies? Are we posers? Hopping on to the new trend that they were into first? Are they suddenly comic book hipsters?

They'd have to dress better I think.

This is an interesting problem. There is a existing and specific community that is situated in and around comic shops and I am not part of it. But I do have to enter into to it to get my comics. And I've been doing so very unsuccessfully thus far.

To me, the obvious tactic as a comic store owner is to make the workings of the process clear. Maybe say something to me when I ask to have back copies ordered, that I can order the comics I want and they'll be set aside for me. Or even put up a poster. I'm new to this community and process, and need to be initiated, not dismissed. Why wouldn't you try to keep these new customers? Make them like the other people spending $30 a week. Is it too much trouble? Do you look down on them because they are excited about this reboot? Excited about a pseudo-publicity stunt?

I don't know if these people are trying to secure their circle, but I wish I could buy some comics, at the store, on Wednesdays, and not feel like I'm intruding in on their thing.

There is a somewhat happy ending to my tale of exclusion though. I found a website, allnewcomics.com, where I was able to get all the comics I hadn't managed to get, including Batgirl. There was a $10 shipping fee, but I consider it an acceptable tradeoff for getting the comics that were sold out everywhere else.

They haven't arrived yet so we'll see in a few days how I feel about this different kind of comic book buying experience. I know they also have a subscription service, but it's sad that if I choose to get my comics this way, I've circumvented that comic book store community all together. I want to go and support local stores, not mail order my comics, but if I can't get the books I want, what am I supposed to do?

My plan, for next week, is to try a different store. It's the blessing of living in a city that is actually two cities.

Hopefully these comic book people will be careful of my delicate disposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment